On Thursday, 2 October 2014 at 11:12:12 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Thursday, 2 October 2014 at 07:43:54 UTC, eles wrote:
update-manager -d

It works.

Does it perform package upgrade? The comments are rather scary:
---
Hi, I have installed Linux mint 15 with Mint4Win as Dual boot with Windows 7.
Then upgraded it to Mint 16 and it was running fine.
But when I upgrade to Mint 17 (Qiana), after restarting the partition loop0 (or loopback0 or something like that) fails to load. It shows an error like, Press I to ignore, S to skip or M for manual recovery.

Hi,

A bit of news here, as just updated my knoledge about Linux Mint & Linux Mint Debian Edition.

In short, from this discussion and its comments:

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/08/upcoming-lmde-2-to-be-named-betsy/

Linux Mint Debian abandons its (semi-)rolling model and will basically become just a kind of Ubuntu, but based on Debian Stable (Ubuntu, AFAIK, is based on Debian Unstable). The will require full-upgrades every 2 years, but the upgrades shall be smooth (no reinstall required). For two years, you will not need to do such upgrade, just the basic security upgrades and some updates (mainly browser and email clients).

Linux Mint, starting from version 17, marks a departure from previous releases (this is why you migh have encountered difficulties in upgrading) by keeping the same code base (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) for the next 5 years. So, during this time, it will basically be a rolling-distribution, as some software will get updated just as regular (security fixes etc.) happens. Probably, after those 5 years, they will change the code base to the next Ubuntu LTS, which will start a new 5-years long upgrade.

One piece of advice: Debian Testing might seem (by the name) more secure than Debian Unstable. The truth is that the latter is more up-to-date and receives security fixes first (they are entering the Debian Unstable first, then they are pre-validated before going in Debian Testing). More, Debian Unstable is not as unstable as its name might tell but, yes, it requires you messing sometimes (read: maybe once every three months) with the apt-get and vim. But is not such a big deal.