On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 10:52:58 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 07:18:01 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
Just to be clear, you're talking about needing the C++ compiler-as-library on the platform where the compiler is being run, right?

I don't see how that prevents upstreaming, so long as it's made clear that it's platform-dependent. Are there any particular platforms you are concerned about?

Consider both things like embedded/MIPS and Windows64 - LLVM tooling is not as strong on those right now, GCC does not provide such easy way to reuse C++ frontend and with DMD/MSVC it is simply beyond feasibility.

By upstream I don't mean LDC upstream but D upstream - we don't want it to become part of full language spec if implementation is so reliable on specific toolchain. It has been already discussed when Jacob proposed dstep integration AFAIR.