On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 15:20:18 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Monday, 22 December 2014 at 23:14:44 UTC, Elie Morisse wrote:
• Structs
https://github.com/Syniurge/Calypso/blob/master/tests/calypso/showcase.d

testClass cls = new testInherit;

This should be written

testClass* cls = new testInherit;

In C++ struct and class differ only in symbol mangling. They are both value types, support inheritance, copy constructors etc. By looking at the declaration you can't decide if a class should be used as value type or reference type, so better treat it as value type like in C++.

At the moment Calypso maps C++ POD records to D structs, and non-POD ones to D classes. But then it's true that this creates a conundrum because I can't translate class value types to D types, so currently functions that expect class value arguments are ignored.

Making C++ classes value types would have lots of implications, so the way I see it (for now, not sure if that's the best solution) I'll probably stick to D class semantics but I'll have to create C++-specific class value types to map C++ fields or functions that take class value arguments.