On 19/03/2015 11:18, Dicebot wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 March 2015 at 22:32:06 UTC, Trent Forkert wrote:
Arbitrary, contrived example (though not entirely unrealistic):
 * a C(++) executable needs a static D library
 * Said D library in turn uses a C(++) library
 * All three of these are built as components of the same project

So now I need a weird tangled mess of build systems calling each other
back and forth. Dub really doesn't pull its weight here.

I call dub from makefile rules and feel pretty comfortable about such
pattern (apart from being not-so-portable compared to raw dub). And
building anything via IDE is just asking for trouble :)

Indeed, I reckon in these more complex examples, you'd call DUB from make/cmake/whatever. DUB would be in charge of building the D library aspect/component of that whole project. I don't see why this would not be possible, or otherwise why it would be a tangled messed.

It might force to think of your build components in a more structured/componentized way, instead of the paradigm of building on a file by file basis, the `make` way. (I've only used make though, not cmake, so dunno how much this comment applies to the later)

Bruno Medeiros