On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 17:22:42 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 17:10:33 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 17:03:35 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
. Separate compilation. One file changes, only one file gets rebuilt

This immediately has caught my eye as huge "no" in the description. We must ban C style separate compilation, there is simply no way to move forward otherwise. At the very least not endorse it in any way.

I understand that. But:

1. One of D's advantages is fast compilation. I don't think that means we should should compile everything all the time because we can (it's fast anyway!) 2. There are measureable differences in compile-time. While working on reggae I got much faster edit-compile-unittest cycles because of separate compilation 3. This is valuable feedback. I was wondering what everybody else would think. It could be configureable, your "not endorse it in any way" notwithstanding. I for one would rather have it compile separately 4. CTFE and memory consumption can go through the roof (anecdotally anyway, it's never been a problem for me) when compiling everything at once.

See http://forum.dlang.org/post/nhaoahnqucqkjgdwt...@forum.dlang.org

tl; dr: separate compilation support is necessary, but not at single module level.