On 08/18/2015 10:33 PM, Ali Çehreli wrote:

> On 08/18/2015 09:33 PM, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>
>  > Out of interest, why did you choose createspace over e.g. lulu?
>
> I looked at various options about a year ago. I eliminated Lulu because
> my book already had way too many pages over their limit. I think their
> limit was something around 600 pages. I now have 798 pages but either
> they changed their options or put up better information that I should be
> able fit 740 pages with some layout changes:
>

> http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Product-Pricing-Information/Binding-options-and-their-page-counts/ta-p/33673
>

> Additionally, according to my research at the time, CreateSpace was the
> one of the ones that would give me the most royalty.
>
> I eliminated other companies for other reasons e.g. because they would
> not take pdf, which my build system happens to produce for historical
> reasons.

I've just realized that going with CreateSpace (Amazon owns it) makes the book virtually impossible to appear on book shelves. This is both because the booksellers make less money and more importantly, because books obtained from CreateSpace are non-returnable. I've just received the following quote from the buyer of an independent book seller:

  "It is our company policy not to carry stock for titles that
   Amazon has published as they are our competitors and we do not
   agree with their business practices."

Luckily, it seems to be possible to publish the book at Ingram as well:

http://bookmarketingtools.com/blog/benefit-of-self-publishing-with-createspace-and-ingram-spark/

I will try that route.

Ali