On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 at 09:59:09 UTC, Kapps wrote:
On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 at 04:17:19 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

Seems like you now get 2.1 gigbytes/sec sequential read from a cheap consumer SSD today...

Not many consumer drives give more than 500-600 MB/s (SATA3 limit) yet. There are only a couple that I know of that reach 2000 MB/s, like Samsung's SM951, and they're generally a fair bit more expensive than what most consumers tend to buy (but at about $1 / GB, still affordable for businesses certainly).

Yes - that's the one I had in mind. It's not dirt cheap, but at GBP280 if you have some money and want speed, the price is hardly an important factor. I should have said consumer grade rather than consumer, but anyway you get my point.

That's today, in 2015. Maybe one can do even better than that by striping data, although it sounds like it's not that easy, but still. "The future is here already; just unevenly distributed".

Seems like if you're processing JSON, which is not the most difficult task one might reasonably want to be doing, then CPU+memory is the bottleneck more than the SSD. I don't know what outlook is for drive speeds (except they probably won't go down), but data sets are certainly not shrinking. So I am intrigued by the difference between what people say is typical and what seems to be the case, certainly in what I want to do.