On 07-Nov-2015 16:25, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
On Thursday, November 05, 2015 02:38:01 Sebastiaan Koppe via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 November 2015 at 17:52:23 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
If host machine is x64 bit windows try setting large address
aware bit on the executable (there are tools to do that IRC),
would allow it to eat up to ~4 gigs.

What can we do when it eats up all 4 gigs? (Windows)

Getting 64-bit packaged should be simplest thing possible. Ask around on
D.learn maybe somebody could either show how to build it manually or at least have done so before.

Otherwise - the single biggest problem with memory is CTFE leaking memory like crazy. Second to that is templates.

IMHO enabling D's GC in the frontend is better way to fix leaking in the CTFE, but there are some issues with that (it segfaults if we enable GC).

Lastly compiler's frontend could use some improvement in general and now that it's written in D and I totally expect better memory management to come soon.

Phobos has been built in pieces for quite a while now
specifically because it requires too much memory to build it all at once
(std.algorithm alone requires a lot of memory thanks to all of the template
instantiations in its unit tests).

That's only true for unittests, it still builds the library in one go (in about 7 seconds for me) on windows.

--
Dmitry Olshansky