On 11/11/2015 07:34 AM, Namal wrote:

> So is there a way to buy the book on paper besides amazon?

Yes! I haven't announced it here yet but it's on the book's page:

  http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/

tl;dr:

Search for ISBN 978-0-692-52957-7, which should be available conveniently at most places. Better yet, ask your local bookstore to order it for you.

Long version:

Note: All of the following are a part of my presentation at Silicon Valley ACCU tonight (November 11, 2015):

  http://www.meetup.com/SFBay-Association-of-C-C-Users/events/225125586/

I will be happy to meet other D people there! ;)

Confusingly, this book is now among those that have two ISBNs. :(

CreateSpace (an Amazon affiliate) ISBN is 978-1515074601. Unfortunately, it has almost zero chance of being sold at local bookstores because local bookstores don't like their business practices. Here are actual comments from a local bookstore:

"unable to carry your book in our store because your book is
published under an imprint of Amazon. CreateSpace is part of
Amazon."

"It is our company policy not to carry stock for titles that
Amazon has published as they are our competitors and we do not
agree with their business practices."

"your book is available from Ingram as not returnable & with a
short % for us"

Enter Ingram... Ingram is one of the largest book distributors that is well respected by book retailers. Ingram appears in the last excerpt above because, as I understand it, Ingram distributes any published book, self-published or not. (That's how the CreateSpace book is available to local bookstores, who will not carry it.)

So, I went all the trouble of getting the book published by Ingram's self-publishing platform as well. The following ISBN is already on internet search results:

  IngramSpark ISBN: 978-0-692-52957-7

If you can, please ask your local bookstores for that book or order it through them. You will not pay for customs or shipping and if the bookstore decides to stock it, more people will have a chance of running into it on the book aisles.

The catch: This book now has two list prices: $31.50 for the CreateSpace one, and $37.73 for the IngramSpark one. (These are US prices; the price varies at other countries.)

Publishing at IngramSpark is more costly both because they charge more and because the author has to set a sizable wholesale discount for the book to have a chance of being sold at local stores.

I had set the CreateSpace price to the very low $28.50 initially, but now I increased it so that the two ISBNs are at least in the thirties.

Having said all that about the price, most people can find the book for around $25.

> Not that I don't like amazon it is just that there are always
> problems ordering from outside the EU due to customs duties.

Actually, there shouldn't be a problem if you order it even in Europe because as I understand it, CreateSpace has two other printing houses: one in UK and one in somewhere in Central Europe. (Don't quote me on that! This is just a "feeling".)

I feel very bad for putting CreateSpace's name on this thread saying "they pay most royalty to the author". Unfortunately, it can be very inconvenient as well: You have to create an account with them, shipping times can be very long, shipping cost can be more than zero (what some Amazon members pay), etc. Additionally, as you say, a reader told me that they had to pay a huge customs fee because they just wanted me to get more royalty. (And we're talking $12 versus $6 royalty. Nobody can retire with that difference. :p)

And here is an update about the ebooks: I was able to embed the fonts in the EPUb and AZW3 versions. I will make the new versions available soon after fixing content problems: An expert emailed me saying that I've been spreading the misconception of categorizing languages as interpreted versus compiled. I am changing that part. Also, I will make sure that I make it clear that signed arithmetic behavior is undefined behavior.

I love publishing in the 21th century! :) I make a correction and everything gets updated almost immediately: the online version, the ebooks, and even the print version! (The print version needs a couple of days to be verified by a human. That's all.)

Ali

  • "Programming in D&quo... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: "Programming... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: "Program... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: "Pro... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: "... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Namal via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Namal via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Namal via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: "Programming... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: "Programming... cym13 via Digitalmars-d-announce