On Sunday, 20 December 2015 at 19:16:19 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
On Sunday, 20 December 2015 at 01:16:46 UTC, Jakob Jenkov wrote:
According to Thrift's own docs their binary encoding is not compact. For compact encoding it seems they refer to Protobuf.

There seems to be a confusion of terminology here. Thrift has a "Binary" protocol, which is not compact in the sense that it consists of the data fields more or less blitted into a message. There is also a "Compact" protocol, which is also a binary format, but employs things like variable-length integers to reduce size – similar to Protobuf.

 — David

Thanks for the clarification! I couldn't really make out from the Thrift website if they had their own compact protocol, or switched to Protobuf. But now you say that they do have their own compact protocol. Now I know that.