On Sunday, 20 December 2015 at 17:52:40 UTC, Jakob Jenkov wrote:
I just had a look at Cap'n Proto. From what I can see in the encoding spec, performance of ION will be comparable.

"If a disease has many treatments, it has no cure".

This is certainly true for serialization protocols.

The major advantage I see in Cap'n'Proto is the pipelining can do quite a lot to reduce round trip latency. (You don't have to google far to find rants pointing out that latency is often more important than bandwidth in determining throughput.)

I was just reading your IAP web site, when I came across "No Stateful Communication" under the heading "What is Wrong With HTTP?".

The designers of HTTP would strongly argue that is a major thing HTTP got right, and is the feature primarily responsible for it huge success.

Certainly in the realm of IoT HTTP is way too heavy.... so in that domain I would reach for
http://coap.technology/

The use case I keep challenging my colleagues with is....

So one end or the other dies. Or resets. Or fades and comes back. Or changes batteries.

This is the IoT things. It will happen, and you will be required to recover the whole end to end system automatically without manual intervention.

What is your plan?

Too often the answer is... "We don't have a plan but we will have a wheel restarting the link.... umm, then a wheel resending the stuff that was lost in the link buffers when the link went down.... and a, errrr, maybe wheel restarting Everything when we realise the other side has lost it's state about our connection.

And in practice the only wheel that works is shutting everything down and restarting everything up.

Suddenly "No stateful communication" is looking really really Good.

Coap clearly has thought these issues through.