On Monday, 9 May 2016 at 20:24:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 5/9/2016 9:57 AM, Stefan Koch wrote:
[...]

The memory consumption problem, at least, can be resolved by using stack temporaries instead of allocating new nodes. This was already done in constfold.d, but not in the rest of the interpreter.

Doing that will (I predict) also double its speed right there.

Thanks, your advice is most helpful and a good first stop-gap.

Still the current state of CTFE is almost not maintainable
 and I would really prefer a clean-slate approach.

SDC benefits extremely from the extra level of indirection, however I do understand that SDC and DMD have diffrent goals regarding compile-speed.

Also I feel that good code has found it's most beautiful shape when it's simplicity makes it inevitable, at least the Ctfe-Mechanism has not reached this point yet, imo.