On 31/05/2016 7:16 AM, Jason White wrote:
I am pleased to finally announce the build system I've been slowly
working on for over a year in my spare time:

    Docs:   http://jasonwhite.github.io/button/
    Source: https://github.com/jasonwhite/button

Features:

- Correct incremental builds.
- Automatic dependency detection (for any build task, even shell scripts).
- Build graph visualization using GraphViz.
- Language-independent. It can build anything.
- Can automatically build when an input file is modified (using inotify).
- Recursive: It can build the build description as part of the build.
- Lua is the primary build description language.

A ton of design work went into this. Over the past few years, I went
through many different designs and architectures. I finally settled on
this one about a year ago and then went to work on implementing it. I am
very happy with how it turned out.

Note that this is still a ways off from being production-ready. It needs
some polishing. Feedback would be most appreciated (file some issues!).
I really want to make this one of the best build systems out there.

Here is an example build description for DMD:

    https://github.com/jasonwhite/dmd/blob/button/src/BUILD.lua

I'd say that's a lot easier to read than this crusty thing:

    https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/master/src/posix.mak

In fact, there is some experimental support for automatic conversion of
Makefiles to Button's build description format using a fork of GNU Make
itself: https://github.com/jasonwhite/button-make

Finally, a few notes:

- I was hoping to give a talk on this at DConf, but sadly my submission
was turned down. :'(

- I am aware of Reggae, another build system written in D. Although, I
admit I haven't looked at it very closely. I am curious how it compares.

- You might also be interested in the two other libraries I wrote
specifically for this project:

  - https://github.com/jasonwhite/darg (A command-line parser)
  - https://github.com/jasonwhite/io (An IO streams library)

Are you on Freenode (no nick to name right now)?
I would like to talk to you about a few ideas relating to lua and D.