On Thursday, 30 June 2016 at 21:32:47 UTC, Chris wrote:
On Thursday, 30 June 2016 at 21:20:16 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:

I'd say some parts should work out of the box (there many things that are completely OS agnostic, like containers, cache, bindings to other libraries like PCRE, etc.), and some other it would be quite some work (for example all the I/O is tied to epoll, there is one class to work with direct I/O that's super Linux specific, etc.).

Hm. I'd have to see what works. I can't afford to be stuck to one OS.

Maybe in some future we might want to do some sort of separation between the more algorithmic stuff and the more platform-dependent stuff, because we actually spent quite some time and effort in removing some Tango's abstractions. It is a very conscious design decision to remove as many abstraction layers as possible, and for the platform-dependent part, we definitely don't want to go back. We need to work very closely to the OS facilities, so abstractions are plain noise and source of inefficiency for us :)

But if there is interest, I don't discard the splitting idea in some future.