On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 at 11:46:22 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
On Saturday, 7 January 2017 at 13:17:35 UTC, extrawurst wrote:
Hi guys,
the last 2 weeks I jumped on a new toy project: An Alexa Skill written in D.

It is a skill that allows me to voice control my TV receiver with commands like:

Alexa, ask Telly to go to standby
Alexa, ask Telly what is currently running

The project and all the source code sits on github:
https://github.com/Extrawurst/alexa-openwebif

I created two new dub libraries that this app uses:
https://github.com/Extrawurst/openwebif-client-d
https://github.com/Extrawurst/alexa-skill-kit-d

*openwebif-client-d* is the REST api that my receiver speaks.
*alexa-skill-kit-d* is the base class and the types that amazon throws at when the user activated your skill.

you can find the blog post here:
http://blog.extrawurst.org/programming/dlang/alexa/2017/01/06/alexa-in-d.html

Feel free to share, to spread the word about using D for this fancy new tech.

~Stephan

Thank you for doing this - really happy about it. A perfect open source moment - I was wondering about how to go about getting Alexa working. But I had shared the AWS Lambda stuff which proved useful for you, and now you solved the problem for me and helped others on top.

Laeeth.

Hi Laeeth, thanks again for your post about aws lambda + D - wouldn't have thought about this whole thing otherwise.

I wanted to ask you if you thought about using another platform but nodejs wrap the D exe in lambda. They support java and C# aswell. I was wondering if it is a performance difference to use them instead ?!
Looking forward to your input.

Cheers,
Stephan