On Wednesday, 1 February 2017 at 12:47:51 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
As I have previously announced (http://forum.dlang.org/post/o6fbbu$1qli$1...@digitalmars.com), I am stepping down from maintaining Arch Linux packages for D.

That means there are 3 possibilities:

- No one will adopt them and all packages will be moved to AUR
- Some existing Trusted User decided to adopt them
- Someone from D community decides to become Trusted User and adopts them

First option is definitely the worst one and I don't see any enthusiasm regarding second option from existing TUs. Is there anyone willing to volunteer for the option three?

I promise all the guidance and help in submitting TU application and figuring out maintenance process but there does need to be a volunteer ;)

It's been quite a while since Arch was my main desktop, so things might have changed, in which case please ignore this comment.

The worst outcome is option 3 with someone that is not dedicated to the task. One of the reasons I started using Arch was because it was continuously updated, allowing me to get the latest versions of several packages right after a new release. What I found instead was that the TU in charge of the packages wouldn't provide updates. Making matters worse, because there was an official package, they wouldn't allow it in AUR. Making matters worse still, when someone would inquire on the forums there were TUs writing lengthy responses telling them to stop whining and write their own pkgbuild and anyway how hard is it to compile software.

Eventually I gave up because not only was I stuck compiling my own software, I was also responsible for making necessary changes to pkgbuild files (and that wasn't always just bumping a version number).

Hopefully anyone that does step up will think carefully first about whether they are willing to make a sufficient time commitment. Otherwise we'll lose most Arch users, and that's a popular distro.