On Thursday, 2 February 2017 at 11:34:42 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Thursday, 2 February 2017 at 10:01:04 UTC, qznc wrote:
In another thread [0] Snap packages are discussed. What is the view of Arch? If Snap wins, there would be only one package to maintain for all distros.

[0] https://forum.dlang.org/post/mzklrdgeyymuwmtqz...@forum.dlang.org

There is snapd daemon available in Arch repositories but with zero support and guarantees for any actual snap packages. I am not aware of any discussions about in TU mail list either.

The main problem right now is that the snapd version is a few releases behind and does not support the 'classic' snap confinement needed for tools like compilers, dub, etc. I'll probably ping the snapd uploader about this if the situation doesn't change soon. With that dealt with, we can confirm if the current ldc2 snap package really does its intended job ;-)

It's my intention to ensure that there are snap packages available for all the core D compilers and tools (i.e. dmd, ldc2, gdc, rdmd and dub; I'm happy to add to that list if need be). This ought to ensure in the long run that there are packages available to Arch users (and other distros) even if no one steps up to maintain the distro packages.

However, I think it would be a good idea for someone to step up to maintain the dedicated Arch packages in any case -- it's healthy for D to have a representative inside the Arch community.