On Saturday, 8 April 2017 at 19:11:35 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
On Friday, 7 April 2017 at 07:57:02 UTC, kinke wrote:
So while compiling each file separately in parallel is potentially much much faster, the produced release binary may be slower due to less/no cross-module inlining (e.g., LDC's option is still experimental and known to have issues).

In fact single-module compilation is slower than package compilation most of the time due to the redundant parsing&semantic of common imports. As an extreme example, last time I tried, single-module compilation for gtkd was ~10x slower than compiling the library at once. Savings on recompilation hardly make up for this huge overhead. Overall I'd recommend organizing and building subpackages when a project becomes too big.

Per package is significantly faster.

As far as I know the only build system that does this by default for D is reggae.

Atila