On Friday, 14 April 2017 at 16:31:24 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
On Friday, 14 April 2017 at 15:37:20 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:

You raise a very good point. My intention is to completely re-write each function that was based on GSL's CBLAS while upgrading the performance. Once this is done the library should be regarded as a different work ... if anyone knows more about how licenses work and can shed more light on this approach please comment. I would not want people to avoid using it in the future because of the license status.

Not a lawyer, but I think if you just port it to another language it is a derived work in GPL and the ported project must also be GPL.

However, if you're completely re-writing each function, I don't know. Companies that do this would have one team look at every function and write some specs for it and have another group write it without reference to the original.

Thank you for the information ... looks like I need to talk to a friendly lawyer to know for sure - if the term "friendly lawyer" is not an oxymoron :-)