On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 at 13:57:53 UTC, XavierAP wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 06:08:16 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:

I have to say it took me a very long time to come up with the title and the abstract. How could I sell D to C++ experts? Luckily, I asked Manu and among a long list of ideas he said "it's about saving time" and "time is money". How can you argue with that? ;)

I do agree, but C++ people may be less open to buy the whole package at once... The other speakers (Rust, Haskell) will talk about specific things that they regard as nicer in their languages compared to C++ (safe memory access,

@safe

concurrency in Rust;

std.concurrency

Funny story: the first ever (and really, only) program I wrote in Rust had a deadlock in it. I never did figure out why, I just stopped using threads to get rid of the problem. I know it's only anecdata, but "fearless concurrency" does not gel with my experience.

I don't even remember the last time I wrote a deadlock in C++, if ever. Not once in D, that's for sure. It's hard to deadlock when you hardly ever lock. :)

I have fearless concurrency now, in D. Message passing FTW.

side effect safety in Haskell).

pure

C++ users can more easily agree to these individual points and later become interested in the other languages.

Well, let's show them the same points then ;)

It's true that D's paradigm is less different from C++ and it's more about being better designed and safer as a whole. It's like, sure you can write 80% of D programs in C++ with only twice the typing at most,

In my experience, _at least_ twice the typing, and 3 times as many bugs. And I'm talking about C++14 here. The other day I was reminded that in C++ land one has to manually write `operator<<` to print things out and `operator==` to compare things.

Atila
      • Re: "C... Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: &qu... Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: &qu... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: "Competitiv... XavierAP via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: "Compe... Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: "C... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: &qu... H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: &qu... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: &qu... Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: &qu... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: &qu... Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d-announce