On Monday, 29 May 2017 at 20:36:26 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 5/29/2017 2:33 AM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that the dcompute modifications to LDC are now in the master branch of LDC. The dcompute extensions require LLVM 3.9.1 or greater for NVPTX/CUDA and my fork[1] of LLVM for SPIRV.

Someone (sorry I've forgotten who!) at dconf said they'd make a docker image of the dependencies (ldc llvm), if you're reading please let me know! Or if someone else wants to do it thats good too.

I'm still quite busy until July (honours thesis), but if anyone wanting to contribute to either the runtime stuff [2](all D), LDC [3] or LLVM [1](mostly C++) I'm happy to answer any questions, providing testing and performance feedback on diverse systems is also appreciated. Feel free to drop a line at https://gitter.im/libmir/public

[1]: https://github.com/thewilsonator/llvm/tree/compute
[2]: https://github.com/libmir/dcompute
[3]: https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc

Congratulations! This is great work, and a great contribution.

May I suggest, however, that the name DCompute is a bit generic, and provides no hint that it provides GPU programming for D.

How about calling it D-GPU ? I bet you'd get a lot more clicks on a name like that.

Thanks, I called it dcompute because naming things is right up there with cache invalidation. Calling it D-GPU would be misleading because there should be no reason you can't use the generated SPIRV on DSPs, FPGAs and whatever else there is an OpenCL runtime for.

The clicks should be rectifiable with a good title and description.