On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 15:47:44 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
But the thing with libgit2 is that it is extremely annoying how quickly they break the API, especially since many different versions have to be supported at the same time as long as using the system packaged version is supposed to be possible.

Yes, v0.26.0RC2 is already released and it introduces breaking changes. I'll just release next major version. If they don't care about backwards compatibility, why should I care? Also, it's dynamic binding, so it doesn't require libgit2 during compilation and it throws exception, if there is an error at run time.

I can try to add derelict-git2 backend to dlibgit, so it can use both static and dynamic binding, but I don't know if this is a good idea. In this case I have to care about both static and dynamic bindings, which is a humongous amount of work.
I also can fork dlibgit and use just dynamic binding.