On Fri, 2018-03-02 at 04:00 -0700, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:
> […]
>
> In any case, I expect that anyone who wants D3 is going to have a
> very hard
> time convincing Walter and Andrei that such large breaking changes
> would be
> worth it at this point.

I am happy to accept now is not the time, but to say there will be no
D3 is probably as bad a position as to say D3 tomorrow please, and D4
the next day.

Of course the Linux numbering 3 → 4 was fatuous, no architectural or
serious breaking change, just a though that the minor number was
getting too big.

So having D2.999 is fine per se, but advertises a lack of change and a
lack of ambition since the language name is D not D2. Fortran, C++, and
Java show an obsessive adherence to backward compatibility and yet they
increase their major numbers to give the appearance at least of forward
progress.

There is a balance to be had, but I believe keeping D3 as a formal
agenda item is a positive thing for the traction of D. Perhaps, of
course we should be talking about D 2.x and D 3.0 and remove the D1,
D2, etc. from the debate.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

              • Re: ... Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • OT: ... Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Meta via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... psychoticRabbit via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... psychoticRabbit via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: State of D 2018 Surve... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: State of D 2018 Survey 12345swordy via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: State of D 2018 Survey Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: State of D 2018 Survey Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce