On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 at 07:11:24 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

That example actually should be perfectly @safe, because the array is null, and it's using writeln. Dereferencing null is @safe, because it segfaults and thus can't corrupt memory or access invalid memory. You obviously don't want it to happen, but it's @safe. Also, passing a pointer to writeln is fine, because it's just going to print the value, so that's @safe too, even if the pointer value is garbage.

my point had nothing to do with writeln.

my point was, that a RangeError exception may help save the day, but not when you use .ptr

thankfully Steven gave a much better example to make the point clearer ;-)

(I assume that int is meant to be size_t)