On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 10:27:49 UTC, kinke wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 01:52:48 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
The new and enforced "-shared" suffixes for the druntime and phobos shared libraries are a bit annoying (especially since this is a breaking change), but at least at Debian we'll follow upstream's defaults on that (it gives weird package names, but aside from that cosmetic issue the breakage caused by that change should be minimal).

Thank you for working on LDC! :-)

Thank you for maintaining the Debian/Ubuntu packages.

If you don't want the "-shared" suffix (and still only provide shared libs, no static ones), then getting rid of it should be as easy as patching

Unfortunately, we ship both - while Debian packages only use the shared libraries, and we want the shared libraries to be default, we also want to make the static ones available for people who want to opt into that for software they build.

1) https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/blob/v1.8.0/runtime/CMakeLists.txt#L116 2) https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/blob/v1.8.0/driver/main.cpp#L507

The only important thing is that `-link-defaultlib-shared` switch works (and that you error out for `-link-defaultlib-shared=false` if you don't ship with static libs).

I wonder if we could suffix the static libraries instead and whether that would cause any problems...

Cheers,
    Matthias