On Thursday, 1 November 2018 at 23:58:15 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

Having said that, though, there are some here who *do* want something like what you describe... IIRC Manu has voiced this before, and there may be others. (I myself don't consider it a big enough issue to be worth agonizing over.) So far, there has yet to be a strong enough argument for per-aggregate private to convince Walter & Andrei. It's them you have to convince, not the rest of us. Even if we were to all agree with you, it doesn't mean squat if Walter and Andrei won't budge on the issue.

Again, I feel it's Walter and Andrei that should be doing the convincing.. they are always silent on this matter, which is a real shame,as I think their insights might actually be useful ;-)

If it's simply not practical, from a language design, to consider this further, then I'd like to know that - I work at a higher leve of abstraction and have no idea about this. So not hearing from Walter or Andrei, is really unhelpful, as to whether it's an idea worth pursuing, or an idea that Walter and Andrei would never accept - which is it?

Anyway, the real 'problem' (in my opinion), is not the idea. The idea is sound (or at least, it's not unsound), and it's represented in all major langauges, already.

The real problem, is that whenever this idea pops up (as it has, and will continue to do so), far too many people on this forum attempt to divert the discussion from 'what is the usefulness of this new idea' to 'what's the difficulty of finding ways to avoid any change.'

The discussion can never move forward under those circumstances.

I would like the discussion to move forwards, and people start to think about how such a change could be adopted, how difficult it would be to implement, how will it play with other features in the langauge..etc....

It's a real shame we can't get beyond "No. We don't like your idea, and even if we did, we don't want to do it".