On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 21:15:29 UTC, aberba wrote:
On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 19:49:34 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
[...]

Isn't it more theoretical/imaginary/hypothetical than something really measured from a real-world use case? Almost all large software use cases I've seen used mix and match.

(BTW ARC is also another form of GC)

Unreal game engine https://mikelis.net/garbage-collection-in-ue4-a-high-level-overview/

Unity (of course) https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnderstandingAutomaticMemoryManagement.html

[...]

TL;DR:

In summation, the garbage collection system is a robust part of Unreal Engine that affords C++ programmers a lot of safety from memory leaks, as well as convenience. With this high-level discussion, I was aiming to introduce the system at a conceptual level, and I hope I have achieved that.