On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 at 07:18:24 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 at 05:09:56 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 21:57:41 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
[...]

Horses for courses ? Eg for Andy Smith's problem of processing trade information of tens of gigs where Python was choking, I guess nobody in their right mind would use Rust.

I don't think there is much difference between C, D or Rust in terms of computing. The core semantics are similar. With Rust you have the additional option of linear type checking.

But Rust programmers of course want to use idiomatic linear typing as much as possible and that makes designing graph-like structures a challenge.

An option implies you can turn it off, has this changed since the last time I used Rust?(admittedly, a while back)

Memory safety doesn't seem like it's the top priority for scientific computing as much as fast turnarouds and performance... in my opinion, anyways.