On Sunday, 23 August 2015 at 12:49:35 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
You are mixing too many factors here. "General purpose" has nothing to do with performance, it is to do with can the language describe most if not all forms of computation. Go is a general purpose programming language just like C, C++, D, Rust, Haskell, OCaml.

Yes, of course it is, but given it's typical use context I find it odd that they didn't go more towards higher level constructs. For me Go displaces Python where more speed is required, though I wish it was more pythonic… (neither C++, Rust or D are really eligible)