On Sun, 2015-08-23 at 19:42 +0000, via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:

[…]
> Yes, of course it is, but given it's typical use context I find
> it odd that they didn't go more towards higher level constructs.
> For me Go displaces Python where more speed is required, though I
> wish it was more pythonic… (neither C++, Rust or D are really
> eligible)

I wondered about the Go/Python issue last year, and even did a London
Python Group session on the topic. Clearly organizations like Canonical
are displacing Python with Go for some of their projects, almost
certainly rightly so: as you say Go has duck typing yet is strongly
statically types, where Python (via PEP 484 and MyPy) is only now
getting type hinting. However I think we will see that Go and Python
are actually getting traction in different spaces and so are not
competing as much as many would have us believe.

For Python and native code, D is a great fit, perhaps more so that
Rust, except that Rust is getting more mind share, probably because it
is new. It would be good to get rid of C and C++ as the languages of
Python extensions. Of course systems like Numba change the Python
performance game, which undermines D's potential in the Python-verse,
as it does C and C++. Currently I am investigating Python/Numba/Chapel
as the way of doing performance computing. Anyone who just uses
Python/NumPy/SciPy is probably not doing performance computing, NumPy
is so slow (*).

The issue here for me is that Chapel provides something that C, C++, D,
Rust, Numba, NumPy, cannot – Partitioned Global Address Space (PGAS)
programming. This directly attacks the multicore/multiprocessor/cluster
side of computing, but not the GPGPU side, at least not per se.

(*) Which comment allows this piece to be attacked as I have been
attacking similar comments elsewhere ;-)
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net