On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 at 14:21:27 UTC, Dan wrote:

Personally, I don't think there is a reason to transition. Instead, you should learn D and then use it when you are ready.

That is troubling, but reasons to transition must exist or the language would not exist, right? I find that if I "learn" a language I forget it unless I actually start using it, at least for a short while.
January 2016 is when I should have time to experiment with D. I will attempt to install the language in Linux and kick the tires for a while. If I continuously stumble into insurmountable barriers, the experiment will end.

I meant there is no reason to abandon C++ in favor of D. The lowest cost way to get started with D is to write some functions in D and call them from C++. I personally don't like the term "transition" because it implies significant cost.