On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 01:14:37AM +0000, kinke via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 October 2018 at 00:48:03 UTC, Joe wrote:
> > I'd like to know if the lack of double/float versions of 'log',
> > 'log10', etc. are intentional, i.e., there's some rationale behind
> > it, or an oversight.
>
> Just laziness or people still thinking that you don't lose any
> performance by computing in `real` precision.

Is it true that on modern hardware computing with `real` reverts to slow
x87 emulation in the CPU instead of using SSE/MMX/whatever native math
functions?  I've heard that said a lot, I'm just wondering if there's
actual measurements to back that up.

[...]
> > I'd also like to know the proper/best way to deal with the error
>
> Long-term? Definitely adding the missing implementations to std.math ;),
> continuing my work here: https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/6272
> Short-term, I'd go with tiny wrappers.

Yeah, going forward std.math definitely needs to have native
float/double counterparts for all functions.  Preferably CTFE-eable
versions of them all, so that I can compute my math lookup tables at
compile-time. :-D

Любишь кататься - люби и саночки возить.