On Saturday, 26 April 2014 at 18:11:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 4/26/2014 4:57 AM, Dicebot wrote:
Necessity to define namespaces for
interfacing with C++ must not result in usage of namespaces of pure D code.

Why?

I don't see much of any use for namespaces in pure D code, though I could be surprised.

Because using namespaces is considered good practice in C++. Those coming from languages with natural namespace support will see feature with same name and semantics in D code and will proceed with using it casually, resulting in lot of unidiomatic D libraries and applications out there.

Namespaces are also much more familiar and simple thing to grasp compared to original D module system. Providing those will doom D modules because of path of least resistance - lack of good practices here makes situation rather bad already, no need to make it even worse.

Namespaces also don't solve any problem for that can't be already elegantly solved. We are very reluctant to add new useful features because of implied implementation, documentation and learning overhead. Abandoning that principle to add a useless feature instead is just horrible.