On 2014-05-06 12:04:55 +0000, Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> said:

Notably, I didn't say 'phones'. Although I think they do generally
fall into this category, I think they're drifting away. Since they run
full OS stack's, it's typical to have unknown amounts of free memory
for user-space apps and virtual memory managers that can page swap, so
having excess memory overhead probably isn't such a big deal. It's
still a major performance hazard though. Stuttering realtime
applications is never a professional look, and Android suffers
chronically in this department compared to iOS.

Note that iOS has no page swap. Apps just get killed if there isn't enough memory (after being sent a few low memory signals they can react on, clearing caches, etc.). Apps that takes a lot of memory cause other apps in the background to be killed (and later restarted when they come to the foreground).

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.ca