On 07/13/2014 12:45 PM, Dicebot wrote:
On Sunday, 13 July 2014 at 10:19:26 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2014-07-12 01:02, Dicebot wrote:

Whatever is ideal solution, we better focus on something practical that
can be realistically added to the language within current priorities
(stability, minimizing addition of new features, clearing corner cases
etc.)

Funny thing you should mention "minimizing addition of new features".
That's exactly what AST macros are for. Just the recent addition of
supporting C++ namespaces could have easily been implemented with AST
macros.

Yes I know and likely would have preferred that approach if we were
speaking about designing brand new language. But right now we already
have string mixins

They are not a great liability. They are a simple feature. They take up less than 200 lines of code in my D frontend implementation, _together_ with template mixins.

and those won't ever be deprecated -> any new code
generation feature should be built on top of either those or template
mixins.

That does not follow. In any case Jacob's macros are a code _reflection_ feature and a _hygienic_ code generation feature.