On Sunday, 13 July 2014 at 12:33:21 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
Yes I know and likely would have preferred that approach if we were speaking about designing brand new language. But right now we already
have string mixins

They are not a great liability. They are a simple feature. They take up less than 200 lines of code in my D frontend implementation, _together_ with template mixins.

I am not saying it is insanely complicated but that it is not orthogonal to existing features. And having many ways to do the same thing is rather bad, especially if it is such high-level abstraction.