On Monday, 14 July 2014 at 16:46:08 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Monday, 14 July 2014 at 16:10:54 UTC, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
Making macros look like regular function calls, that you might not like. For me, it makes the code more readable. Instead of this:

class Foo
 mixin(property :foo)
end

Or this:

class Foo
 property!(:foo)
end

You simple write this:

class Foo
 property :foo
end

And it's super clear to everyone what this does (again: or read the docs or check the source code to see what this does).

Well as soon as it has own unique syntax it is not what I call "silent". Though `mixin` is much more notable than single : symbol but that is less of an issue.

This is exactly the point where I consider mixins + AST relfection functionally equivalent to macros.

Seeing as good ast reflection would form part of any ast macro system, perhaps everyone could agree to focus on designing the reflection syntax/semantics first, whether or not they ultimately want a macro system too.