On 2/1/2015 3:28 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
He got some very direct responses that told him that if an OS doesn't
have thread-support etc there's no use to run D on that. Responses like
that obviously demotivate people.

From myself or Andrei? I don't recall such.

There's nothing inherent to D or druntime that requires a multithreaded operating system. After all, a single threaded OS is a multithreaded operating system that simply returns an error when a call to create a new thread is initiated.

IIRC he also proposed moving more of TypeInfo implementation to the
runtime so TypeInfo layout can be modified by the runtime or even
completely avoided by not implementing it in the runtime. The main
response was that it complicates compiler code too much for little
benefit. Obviously bare-metal programmers might disagree on the little
benefit part and as Mike points out rust seems to do similar things.

We did something similar with the GC info, i.e. RTinfo. I think the same technique could be use for TypeInfo.