On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 23:41:22 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

Yah, I must chime in here. I'm a bit surprised by Mike's conclusion that he's been rejected.

Forgive me if that's the conclusion I conveyed. I said my ideas were unpopular, and if one follows the links to the threads I posted, you'll see that indeed they are. They were indeed criticized, but it is the lack of interest that is most discouraging. I don't necessarily feel rejected. Rather, I see that D is heavily biased towards a few specific domains, and I think D has more potential than that. So, I suggest the stewards of the language guard against any trend to make the language too domain- or platform-specific.

I also said at the start of this thread that I'm ok with abandoning my ideas, as long as the core team expresses interest and a way forward that I can get on board with.

I assume Mike is Michael V. Franklin who gave the talk at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5m0m_ZG9e8.

Actually, I was so excited about D, I changed my name to Michael D. Franklin: https://archive.org/details/dconf2014-day02-talk07

There's a lot of stuff that Walter and I would like to see happen that's not in the document. The document itself includes things that he and I actually believe we can work on and make happen. (In the case of vibe.d, we made sure we asked Sönke.) It doesn't include awesome things that others can do without our help - and it shouldn't.

The vision document also doesn't include things we believe are implied. For example "D should remain an efficient, systems-level language." To the extent D prevents systems-level work from getting done, we should fix it to allow that to happen. Again, I'm glad folks like Walter and Iain have an eye on that.

This is exactly the information I hoped to elicit in this thread. If there is interest in hardware programming, let's discuss a way forward. If the core team already has its hands full, that's fine too. Perhaps, it's best for me to reallocate myself elsewhere and revisit D at a later time. But I don't want to remain on the fence.

Mike