On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 18:04:58 UTC, george wrote:

.NET actually already has a foothold in bioinformatics, specially in user facing software and steering of reading equipments and robots.

So D's needs a story over C# and F# (alongside WPF for data visualization) use cases.

--
Paulo

Though when it comes to open source bioinformatics projects, Perl and Python have a large foothold among most most bioinformaticians. Most utilities that require speed are often written in C and C++ (BLAST, HMMER, SAMTOOLS etc).

I think D stands a good chance as a language of choice for bioinformatics projects.

George

Yes on the server side and UNIX based research.

However, I have learned in the last years that Windows based systems are also used a lot, specially in controlling robots and doing the first processing steps and visualization.

At least in commercial research.

--
Paulo