I did some image processing work with D and didn't find the lack of specific D tools for visualization a big issue.

There is some advantage to being able to perform visualization tasks in the same lanaguage as you do the data processing work, but I wouldn't this this would be a major obstacle.

I personally prefer the model where I create a tool that takes some input and provides output in a suitable format that I can load to a proper statistical environment (R or Julia ) for visualisation and manipulation. Therefore I would rather write a tool that performs a single task optimally and pipes its output to a different tool for another task. This way I can use the tools and allow for flexible pipelines.

rawdata -> clean -> QC –> to format Y –> to format X -> tool A -> tool B-> visualize

George