On 07/18/2016 03:37 PM, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On 7/18/2016 6:48 AM, Andrew Godfrey wrote:
We risk scaring away potential community members, and alienating existing ones, by the way we say "no" to proposals for breaking changes. We could improve how
we say "no", by having a place to point people to. Potential topics:

Anything we do will risk scaring away people. The only answer is we have to do what is right.

3) Why we feel that breaking changes risk killing D outright. (I just don't see it. I wonder if we're confusing "dfixable" breaking changes, with other more
disruptive kinds (such as Tango=>Phobos).)

Because if you thoroughly break a person's code, you put them in a position of rewriting it, and they may not choose to rewrite it in D3. They may choose a more stable language.

I have many older programs in different languages. It's nice if they recompile and work. It's not nice if I have to go figure out how they work again so I can get them to work again.

For some changes there could be switches, rather like optimization level switches, or those managed by version. This would allow the compilation version to be set based on a compile time variable, I'm not totally sure whether this should be file level or, as with version, block level...or selectable. This would get to be a huge maintenance chore after awhile, but it would allow you a few years to deprecate code.

The question is "How important would a change need to be to justify this kind of action?", and my guess is that it would need to be pretty important.