I managed to find and install LDC, and that mostly, somewhat works.

Except that half the time the compiler crashes with a stack trace, and sometimes it just hangs. Occasionally if I move and rearrange the code it will manage to compile it. There are also worrying comments on the LDC web page about how "Most programs work just fine" and "Several unit tests still fail" and stuff about it relying on stuff from visual c++ in order to work that make me seriously doubt it's stability and correctness.

The times when Windows wasn't a first class target for LDC are over. We've got Windows CI for a year now, so there should be no severe Windows-specific bugs (all unittests and the LDC-specific set of DMD tests work). What's still missing is proper debuginfos, and I'm unsure about DLL support.

As you didn't mention the LDC version you tried, I recommend using bleeding-edge master for Windows: https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/LDC-Win64-master

I've never experienced any hangs; compiler crashes may occur, but should be very rare. Be sure to let us know when you hit something at https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues - we can't fix stuff we don't know about!

Interestingly I found that LDC is crashing when I compile my code from visual D but not from the command line.

Worth investigating.

I'm like an honest opinion... Am I wasting my time trying to do this project in D on Windows? I'll continue to use and support the language but I don't want to fight a losing battle and end up having to move away anyway...

I've been working on LDC for a couple of years (focusing on Windows), mainly because I want to be able to replace C++ at work at some point. Instead of waiting for others to fix it, I realized one needs to get involved to push things forward. I still don't write any D code except for unittests and occasional DMD front-end mods, so I'd love to get some feedback on real-world usage of LDC on Windows.