On 9/17/16 11:31 AM, John Colvin wrote:
Ignorant here: Why would the foundation need a brokerage account?

Companies (non-profits included) usually have some cash lying around.
Some of that cash is needed for operational expenses (salaries, rents,
utilities, bills etc) and for more rare expenses (such as DConf). (Our
operational expenses are low, but we expect them to grow.) If there's
more cash than necessary for the company to run for a few months, it
makes sense to invest that cash in order to make more money from it,
which returns back to the coffers of the company. -- Andrei

That's how I hear it worked in the 50's, but does anyone but the brokers ever gain any real interest from such accounts anymore? From everything I've ever seen and heard, they pretty much all now work such that basically all the earnings get scooped off the top by the banks/brokers themselves (who don't assume any of the risk themselves anymore) leaving the original investor with nothing more than their original invested amount. Brokers and managed accounts are turning into the new "savings" account anymore, you'd (literally) earn more annually just picking up the loose change you see in a parking lot.