On Saturday, 17 September 2016 at 17:20:10 UTC, ak wrote:
On Saturday, 17 September 2016 at 09:26:50 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
In this post, I describe the software renderer available in Dplug:
https://www.auburnsounds.com/blog/2016-09-16_PBR-for-Audio-Software-Interfaces.html

Nice article! Interesting approach, but this is imho the triumph of form over substance. Your GUI increases CPU usage from ~7% to ~50% (idle open editor window) to over 100% (interacting with gui) -- tested with demo of Panagement AU in Live. BTW nice puzzle game in the corner;). Does it somehow influence sound processing?

So I've done some measurements in Live 32-bit:

- Panagement: 5% audio processing 20% UI
- TDR Kotenikov: 9% audio processing 15% UI
- Compassion: 1% audio 4% UI
- Tritik: 1% audio 5% UI (though this one has no UI feedback)
- MJUC: 7% audio 18% UI

I'd say it's in the same ballpark of other products in the same space. The more CPU conscious plugins to display tend to have less visual feedback.

The numbers are better on Windows, I'm not sure why. I've suspected different processors but there is maybe something else.

Note that these measurements were done on the slowest MacMini you could buy in late 2012.