On 11/12/2016 11:02 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2016-11-09 20:07, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

Although I have my doubts it would explain all the issues I've hit upon
with git's CLI. For example: I don't see why annotated tags aren't the
default. Or why non-annotated ones even exist at all. When I made
<https://github.com/Abscissa/gen-package-version>, I noticed that it'll
*only* work if the version tags are "annotated" tags. Because otherwise
"git describe" doesn't retrieve the tag. Doesn't even matter one bit
*what* the tag's message is, just that it exists. Why? Who knows! It's
git!

If you add the --tags flag to "describe" it will work.

Ok, I see (sorta). But it does work without --tags if it's an annotated tag. Clear as mud.

Yea, see, these are the reasons I consider git's cli to be god-awful.