On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 01:20:21 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Saturday, 17 June 2017 at 21:49:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
[...]

Martin and Sebastian can correct me if I'm wrong, but unless I am, Martin, Sebastian, and myself spend a scary amount of time wrestling with makefiles. We have had bad production issues due to makefiles, such as missing dependencies causing inconsistent or broken builds (notably observable when something works only without -j), typos or undefined variables resulting in bugs being silently ignored (hey, I filed a PR to fix one of those not half an hour ago - dmd#6916), CI checks being accidentally completely switched off (which happened more than once!), the win32.mak / win64.mak / posix.mak mess, super-ugly hacks due to limitations of Make that slow down the build unconditionally and/or make everything much more fragile and complicated... and I could go on.

[...]

reggae has a binary backend: i.e. it produces an executable that when run does the build. There are no dependencies on any external tools at that point, you only need a D compiler and you're in business. Which you already need to build dmd, druntime and phobos anyway.

Atila