On 2018-01-31 09:43, Joakim wrote:

Back when I first wrote about mixing open and closed source like this in
my 2010 Phoronix article, nobody considered it a world-beating model.
Maybe people now assume I'm just keying these ideas off the success of
Android in using a similar mixed model, but my article was published
when Android had only single-digit market share so I hardly paid
attention to it, as it was only one of a gaggle of mobile OS's competing
at the time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#Market_share

While I had heard of a few companies using similar mixed models here and
there, none were that successful back then, so my article was based
mostly on theory.  I think the evidence since then has proven that
theory resoundingly accurate, given all the huge projects, such as
Android, iOS, Safari, Chrome, LLVM/clang, using mixed models now.  Even
Microsoft, who used to look askance at open source, has gotten in the
game, open-sourcing .NET and several of their other projects.

Apple has been using a mix of open and closed source for decades. The source code for all versions of macOS, back to the first one, is available here [1].

[1] https://opensource.apple.com

--
/Jacob Carlborg