On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 20:52:43 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2018-01-31 09:43, Joakim wrote:

Back when I first wrote about mixing open and closed source like this in my 2010 Phoronix article, nobody considered it a world-beating model. Maybe people now assume I'm just keying these ideas off the success of Android in using a similar mixed model, but my article was published when Android had only single-digit market share so I hardly paid attention to it, as it was only one of a gaggle of mobile OS's competing
at the time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#Market_share

While I had heard of a few companies using similar mixed models here and there, none were that successful back then, so my article was based mostly on theory. I think the evidence since then has proven that theory resoundingly accurate, given all the huge projects, such as Android, iOS, Safari, Chrome, LLVM/clang, using mixed models now. Even Microsoft, who used to look askance at open source, has gotten in the
game, open-sourcing .NET and several of their other projects.

Apple has been using a mix of open and closed source for decades. The source code for all versions of macOS, back to the first one, is available here [1].

[1] https://opensource.apple.com

I know, I was aware of it, but I wouldn't call OS X's single-digit market share or iOS's 16% market share in 2009 "that successful:"

https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/google’s-android-becomes-world’s-leading-smart-phone-platform

Also, they were notorious for having a mostly closed tech stack, and not getting almost any outside contribution to the OSS portions.