On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 15:55:27 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Fri, 2018-02-09 at 13:51 +0000, Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 13:34:01 UTC, tetyys wrote:
> [...]

Great package manager? Yes.

Great build tool? No. For anything that's not trivial it's an exercise in frustration, pain, tears, waiting for builds to finish, and workarounds for bugs.

Of course whilst people just moan nothing changes. It strikes me as time to actively evolve Dub or replace it.

I'm perfectly happy with dub-the-package-manager.

As for dub-the-build-system, I already did something about it: I wrote reggae. Nearly all of the problems I've had with using dub to build have disappeared by just using reggae instead. There's still a few things that aren't great (`dub describe` needs some love, probably because I'm the only one parsing the output), and sometimes I run into issues that only happen using reggae, but overall, it's been a good choice. For starters, I'd much rather have all our code build in 6min as it does now than over an hour as it was before.

There are assumptions in the codebase that make solving some of the issues so hard as to practically be impossible, and:

1. I don't get paid to work on dub (I have a hard time supporting all my open source projects as it is!) 2. There are tons of things I want to do in/for D that I'm more interested in
3. As mentioned above, it's easier for me to just use reggae

Atila

Atila